Sunday, January 15, 2012

52 Weeks of Abundant Genealogy - Week 3 Free Tools


Week 3 – Free Online Genealogy Tools: Free online genealogy tools are like gifts from above. Which one are you most thankful for? How has it helped your family history experience?  
  
Free online genealogy tools
I can't say just one is my favorite. I use all of these, each for different reasons. Each has a niche that the others don't have yet they all have real value. I hope you can find something among these that can add value to your research. Each one has a small piece of my family puzzle.

FamilySearch.org: www.familysearch.org
FamilySearch is doing such an outstanding job of putting more and more documents online for us, free of charge. Check back frequently as the documents are being put up at a pretty quick rate. If you'd like to see the site be more useful, help to transcribe records. A record set a day or even a week, helps. Please help if you can.

FindAGrave.com: www.findagrave.com
Every trip I take I come home and upload my photos to this site. I love that I can link all of the family members regardless of where they wandered off to and died, they all are linked together! I have nothing but good things to say about the people I interacted with over the years.

There are still a lot of people still adding information to this site, and it is forever free. Don't pass it by.

Linkpendium.com (from creators of RootsWeb): http://www.linkpendium.com/
From the people who brought you RootsWeb, we now have Linkpendium. They too are adding lots of information, and it is free. You can friend Brian (Wolf) Leverich on facebook or on Google+. He's not hard to find and has a wonderful sense of humor!

USGenWeb: www.usgenweb.org
If you are going to research in a place you've never searched before, start here. Visit the information about the state, and then pick the county of research. You'll be pleasantly surprised what gems hide here.

I told you about their newspapers last week. There's more gems in this site, but you have to figure out which ones are gems for your family research.


52 Weeks of Abundant Genealogy by Amy Coffin is a series of weekly blogging prompts (one for each week of 2012) that invite genealogists and others to discuss resources in the genealogy community including websites, applications, libraries, archives, genealogical societies and more.

No comments:

Post a Comment

This blogs comment section is moderated. As soon as I have the opportunity to read your message, I'll be glad to post if appropriate.